Friday, December 05, 2008

Sugar & Spice, Truth or Nice

Being a university student changes everything... For most people.

I have discovered that I really have not altered my habits very much. I still go to bed early, wake up early, learn (whether it be lectures during the semester, or studying my own stuff during the holidays) all day, than go home for rest.

Essentially, it is exactly like being at home, except the occasional interactions with family has been replaced by interaction with distant relatives.

To be absolutely blunt, I don't miss anyone.

Maybe my dog, and my sister (Yes, in that order. I am a heartless bastard).

Delving into this question, I do wonder when did it all begin? When and how do you produce a person more interested in people and the things they do, yet not feel any personal attachment at all?

After reading God Emperor of Dune, I started to address myself as the Observer during my many personal chat sessions with myself.

Before that, I started wondering why people believe in things just because it is "tradition, authority, or revelation." Have to thank Dawkins for that, I am just not as eloquently blunt as him yet.

So I became disillusioned, that people could function in such an illogical way, made me bitter, and sad. Never angry though, until I found out about the special rights given to ancestral descendants of the peoples of the Malay Archipelago, the continuous hypocrisy of the government which professes to govern by the twin swords of justice and religion, and by people who refuse to condemn September 11th and then saying: "Who's fault was it in the first place?"

Under such psychological duress, one would usually turn to ones peers.

I turned inwards.

Because I trusted no one. Not completely anymore.

I have found out the hard way that adults lie to us as children, then continue to lie to us when we grow older. I am sure many of you reading this probably recall the same bitter memories of betrayal that completely changed the way you looked at a person. An event that changes the way you view the world.

So it comes down to one simple question: Just how long can one observe before one interferes?

Quantum theory would simply show that observation changes the results. People, are governed by the same rules.

So before I begin a series of posts regarding the student lounge I am planning for my university, I wish to impress upon my audience that nothing I do is as apparent as it seems, that it is utterly impossible for me to remain an observer after seeing and hearing and more importantly, considering what the implications were, are and will be.

This student lounge will be my first social project, one that aims to change the very nature of the society it exists in. Each aspect of the eventual project will be carefully presented over the coming weeks with the hope you, the reader, will give some input on how it will affect the student population, how it will affect the academicians, and what form of an activity it should take to achieve maximum impact, yet remain legal enough to continue operating under the all-powerful political machinery which strangles the urge to learn from our youth.

I said I would stop crapping and start doing something a long time ago when I put an end to my cynical blogging of real world events.

This is a bargain I intend to keep.

No comments: