Wednesday, December 03, 2008

December Frolics

Yeah, it's been a while. I really didn't think I would post anything personal on my blogs ever again, but as it is a rather efficient medium to keep in touch with my friends, I will post as much stuff as possible.

And it's the bloody holidays, so I really have no excuse for slouching in my writing work.

Well, it has been quite a fun ride so far, studying Forestry in Sabah. I have been to Tenom (for the Sabah Agriculture Park), Sandakan (Rainforest Discovery Centre and Sepilok Orang-utan Rehabilitation Centre, Kawang (for the School of International Tropical Forestry Tortur- I mean Family Camp), and the general Kota Kinabalu area.

Also wrote three humongous reports, 2 for the field trips to Tenom (63 pages) and Sandakan (127 pages) and one for a checklist of plants in Universiti Malaysia Sabah (90 pages).

Thankfully, I read up on formatting documents through Page Styles in OpenOffice, so generating the Table of Contents was a cinch. I do believe the other teams proceeded in the less indolent fashion of manually creating a Table of Contents.

I do wish I wasn't as lazy as them.

(Note: The above two paragraphs are what we geeks call jokes, I humbly apologise if I have caused the non-geek community to feel slightly lost and confused)

Still, even with the power of Page Styles, it still took me more than 25 hours of non-stop typing to finish the final assignment of the year (Checklist of Plants in UMS), which was given literally before the exam period, with the final submission date placed 2 days after my final paper (the original submission date was 9 days after my final paper) on the 17th of November.

Thankfully, I decided to watch the final episode of Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann on the night prior to the submission date.

With frequent mumblings of the magic phrase: 俺を誰だっと思って(やがる)!(Who the hell do you think I am!), I managed to work through the night, watch my roommates go to bed, watch the sunrise poking through the open, mucky window, and eventually seeing my roommates awake from slumber to take their examinations.

Honestly speaking, if I had failed to watch Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann that night, I would not have been able to finish my work before 0900 hours on the 19th of November.

Now that that's out of they way, I am using this holiday period to catch up on some much needed violin practise, while reading a few dozen books on topics ranging from Japanese culture, to a philosophical discussion on theology, and also attempting to set up a student lounge within campus grounds before the next semester begins.

Most of my free time is being spent cycling to the Engineering faculty to use their superior (though still blocked) connection to the web to watch anime and classical films I have always wanted to watch.

(I don't condone piracy, so I would rather spend all day waiting for a film to finish downloading than to pay the DVD peddler. Yeah, sounds contradictory, but I make it a standard policy to delete the items I have downloaded rather than burn them to discs - and then make a wish list of stuff to buy when I get a job. Of course, you are free to do as you please as well.).

Well, I will post more stuff on the student lounge project I will be handling maybe within the next couple of days. Until then, back to surfing the web.

13 comments:

stupeed demon said...

Notice: Our esteemed head programmer recently recovered from a lung collapse, so do send him an email. He is currently fine though, so you can take your time.

Just saying this since it appears that CY had not told you and Tommy about his cacat-ed lungs.

Ken said...

finally!! ur alive again!

Rewarp said...

To the one who names himself after the anti-Christ on LSD:

I did that as soon as the one whose name means sword in Japanese sent me a text message.

That said, I even chatted with the one who names himself after a corroded spelling of multiple Drosophilidae, and humbly suggested (sentence removed for reasons of privacy),

And yeah, glad to be back.

Anonymous said...

wow!!! 127 pages of assignment, how can you do it?!! Its very amazing!I even suffer for my assignment that only 15 pages....

Anonymous said...

totally agree, i even cannot write more than 4 pages...haha....

did you ever think what is the purpose we use so many paper in the academic study( 120 pages per student multiply by 50-60 student...) and the research or report just read by the lecturer once (or maybe even not to read it) and the paper just become useless. Probably will be use as a reference by others at later day but ... what I mean too many papers too many have to use in our small or moderate assignment( and the thesis research by a phD even achieve 1000 or more pages), is this the price we have to pay for knowledge... destroy the environment?

Anonymous said...

I also very hate this kind of wasting a lot of papers for doing an assignment or project, but we still have to do it..right?..

Maybe the lecturer should ask the assignment to be submitted in the soft copy form, this can save a lot of paper. :)

Anonymous said...

I'm an environmental lover, but i realy love reading. I prefer read a book that can be touch rather than the stupid e-book. However reading books also encourage cutting down the trees fo making a books...

....hahaha....is very paradox..so as our life.

Anonymous said...

You like japanese movie? My favourite is japan animation.

Anonymous said...

Beside animation, Japan is very good in movie making. Anyone ever heard the name Akira Kurosawa (黒澤 明 or 黒沢 明)(23 March 1910 – 6 September 1998) ?

He is a very famous Japanese film director, producer, screenwriter and editor. Kurosawa have been directed 20 movie in his 50 years cinematic career, many people say he is only a person that acheive the level of master in Japanese movie making.

Nowaday that are many movie that are import from the hollywood that use a lot of computer effect to reinforce the movie like recently the Transformers, Terminator Salvation but i really do not loke the movie that full of computer effect. This is because producer of this kind of movie will put a lot of effort to make sure the computer effect using in the movie is real, amazing and else but will ignore the story of the movie.

Like the Transformer I recently watch, 2 hour and 30 minutes plus i just know I saw many robots fought to each other accompany by human modern warcraft,and then explosion and explosion. After i come out from the cinema my heart feel nothing ( a good movie will touch your heart deeply and you will remember it for a long time) but feel stupid spent a lot of time to watch the robots combat and i even cannot distinguish who is good or evil.

So I advise all of you try to go to watch the movie directed by Kurosawa although this movie have no very marvellous of computer effect but it is very good to watch it.

Anonymous said...

From where we can get the movie? UMS have this kind of movie?

Anonymous said...

I think at the counter of Megalab, you can aks the staff at there if you want to loan any classical movie from there.

Anonymous said...

Somebody think the life of University like have to duel a lot of assignment or have to attend many lecture and lab a day is very suffer but ...the life of outside is more suffer!!!
Here eventhough how big the problem you faces during doing the assignment is still have a solution(because the lecturer would not give a task that cannot be solved)but the problem you faces during you are working is more bigger and sometimes you cannot solve because there are no solution( maybe have but is a situation or condition you never can make it) and what you only can do is take the impact of the problem.
In UMS, the worse things is you fail in your academy, but you have an opportunity to retake it and make it better. But you know what is the meaning if you fail in anything of the world outside? You think you will be giving an opportunity to repair your mistake?
So stop blammming and enjoy your life in the ivory tower for 3 or 4 year!

Anonymous said...

The Japanese are abundant of good things. They have many good movies, animation, delicious food, creativity almost in everything.

I'm wonder why Malaysia cannot have a good movie or animation like Japan even we have launch the policy Pandang Ke Timur many years ago.. maybe the Japanese have a spirit or passion that we never can learn from them...